Friday, August 31, 2007

we haven't got that kind of time


Sometimes we need to be reminded just how short our time on earth is. My devotions this morning were on that very fact, about our lives and making sure that they matter. I was working today and found a gig writing personal stories...touching stories. I contemplated this for awhile and spent some time going over the important stories in my life. There were far more than I expected. It's really quite amazing everything my life has entailed. But it got me really thinking about my Papa. Most people have that moment...that single moment when they're told they have cancer and everything changes. And he may have had that moment, but I was too young. I don't remember him being diagnosed. He lived with the cancer for 13 years. It didn't seem so terrible until I got older and the realization slowly dawned on me that the cancer might take him from me. Once that realization hit, there simply wasn't enough time. No matter how many hours I spent with him, no matter how many vacations, how many games of chess, how many long drives or tv shows curled up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn...it was never enough.
It was my first personal glimpse at the frailty of life. There just wasn't enough time. And so things that mattered to other people my age just didn't matter to me. I hated living in a girl's dorm. So much drama over this guy or that guy, who said what to who. And all I could think was, "we just haven't got that kind of time." People would argue over stupid things and see who could hurt each other worse. But to me, we didn't have that kind of time. People often tried to drag me into it, I hated every minute. I didn't have time to deal with the stupid drama. It was irrelevant. Didn't anyone get it? They were throwing around people's feelings, their relationships, like they were nothing! Didn't they see that there just wasn't time for that? There may not be tomorrow to apologize for that! Do it now! There's not enough time!
I remember on a couple of occassions in college, some girl would write to me stirring up drama because I was friends with some guy she liked. And every time I would roll my eyes and think, "sweetie, you're wasting your time...and you haven't got time to waste." what do you want said about you after you're gone...not that line that they'll feed your family at your funeral, but what they'll REALLY say about you...that people liked you...everyone liked you...that you were kind and patient...that you truely cared about other people...or that you were jealous...intimidated...rude...cold...uncaring...mean...petty...but gee you could sure run your mouth with the best of them! wow...people there's just not enough time for that!
every relationship you have on this earth...good, bad, ugly, fair, unfair is there for a reason! every one! every single person was put into your life for a reason. there's something there for you to learn. learn it! because we haven't got time for the pettiness. we haven't got time for the lies and cruelty. we haven't got time for the drama. we haven't got time to whine about the things we have to do. we haven't got time to brag about how special we are and how much everyone likes us. scripture says not to praise yourself, to let others do it. and if they aren't doing it as much as you would like, perhaps you need to reevaluate your actions and attitudes because chances are there's a reason!
we have three rules in our house. one is that we never go to sleep angry. never. we always say i love you before we fall asleep. two is that ward never leaves for work angry. if there is any problem at all, it must be solved before we go to sleep or go our separte ways. and always part with i love you. and the third is that the word "divorce" is never used in our home. ever. because it isn't an option and because life's too short for petty fights and saying things we don't mean. i know all too well that one morning you can wake up and realize that you don't have another day. time's up on that relationship. there's nothing more you can do.
every relationship has value. every relationship is important to your life whether you like it or not. and if you were wise, you'd take every opportunity (even if it means swallowing your pride...or at least chewing on it) to make sure that you've done the very best you can in every opportunity and that you have done nothing that the other person can hold against you. no wrong for which you haven't asked forgiveness. no opportunity to be a friend that you passed up. you can't just continue on living life in a moment, worried about silly, ridiculous things...we just haven't got that kind of time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm did i ever tell you that you could totally be an inspirational writer?? Cause ya, you totally could