Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Loving my Blessings...

Yesterday I woke with a horrible toothache. I had broken one of my wisdom teeth and had to go to the dentist. I needed to do it a long time ago, but I find that I have a tendency to succomb to "mommy syndrome" and push myself further and further down the list of important things to take care of. Long story short, I'll be having the tooth removed next Tuesday.
When I went into the dentist office yesterday morning, the assistant asked about my family. I told her I had three children under 3. Her response "Oh my goodness, you're a crazy woman!" When the dentist found out that I had a baby (and was still nursing so I wouldn't be able to take the pain killers post-surgery) he told me that he thought I would probably be alright to take care of my baby after the surgery. When the nurse told him how MANY babies I had, he changed his mind and told me I would probably need help.
I would just like to know when babies became such a burden to our society. I LOVE my babies. I LOVE having three babies. NO, we have not decided that we are "done". Lord willing there will be more babies. All throughout history children were a blessing, a gift, a thing to be desired. Now, in our society we have "better things to do" and babies get in the way of our "goals and accomplishments/careers."
Yes, I suppose by today's standards I'm crazy. I'm totally OK with that. I wouldn't trade my babies and ALL the work that comes with them for anything! I adore them! Our children are God's gift to us and He has entrusted them to our care. This is the greatest of all "occupations" and one that has eternal impact. Yes, as I am reminded every time I leave the house by well-meaning passerby, I have my hands full. I have my heart full, too. I hope that I can show my children that they are NOT a burden to me. They are my most precious gifts. My most valued treasures. And the God who gave them to me loves them enough that He thought them worth dying for. That's my job...and it's the job that I love. I don't have a "life to get on with" when I'm "done" having kids. This IS my life. And I can't think of a better way to spend it.
My beautiful 2 year old, having a tea party with Daddy

My amazing 3 year old

My precious (almost) 6 month old

My couch-full of blessings.

No comments: