Monday, October 4, 2010

Easy menu planning

So for the past couple of weeks we've been using e-mealz. I am honestly soooo skeptical about things like this because my family is insanely picky. I always liked the idea of having a ready made "menu plan" but it just didn't seem realistic. However, this one is different and here's why.

When you sign up, you receive several options of menu plans. You can choose ones for families or couples. You also can choose certain kinds of menus such as Weight Watchers compatible and menus for those who can't have certain kinds of foods. You can also choose your meal plan based on which store you typically shop at.

They then make a menu for you based on what deals are going on at your store that week. You get a dinner menu for each night of the week with a list of ingredients and recipes for each item you'll make. Then you also get a grocery list, with items grouped by category for easy shopping and the approximate prices so you can see how it will work for your budget. For my family (four eating table food) the approximate cost according to them is $75/ week for your groceries.

Now, let me tell you why this one works for my family. I am a couponer. I do most of my shopping with coupons and stock up when things are on sale. So to be completely honest, I don't need to spend the $75 that they plan for because I already have many of the items needed which I purchased at a discounted price. Also, they only include dinner which gives me so much flexability because we can have leftovers for lunch or sandwiches and we usually have simple breakfasts. So I don't have to follow a rigorous schedule to stay in my budget.

Now, about the pickiness. No, we do not eat every meal that they recommend. BUT, this is another area that e-mealz is amazing in! On your grocery list, they list which meal each item belongs to. So if you aren't going to use a certain meal, you don't have to go through and try to figure out which things you don't need. You just scratch off anything that has the number of the meal you aren't using. So easy!

And I've found that although my family wouldn't eat a dish exactly as they would have me prepare it, I can tweak the recipe a tiny bit and make it something my family would love. Best of all, I didn't have to worry with the menu for the week, or the grocery list. I know I have something planned for each night. I know I have all that I need to make each meal. AND I have freed up my time used for grocery planning to get better deals with my coupons. ;-)

Best of all, it's only a $1.25 per week. SOOOO worth it when you figure that not only are you not having to really think about what to buy, but you know you're only buying what you're going to use and your food isn't going to waste because something looked good, but you never got around to cooking it. Frugal indeed.

If you're interested in seeing what e-mealz is all about click on the button below. (yes, I get moolah if you do- full disclosure here.) But honestly, I'd recommend it even if I didn't. One less thing for the mommy brain to worry about. Because quite frankly, you've got better things to do and let's face it, mac n cheese is only good so many nights in a row. :)


E-MEALZ EASY AND DELICIOUS DINNER RECIPES

No comments: