Thursday, August 19, 2010

Uncut Diamonds

"Many individuals have, like uncut diamonds, shining qualities beneath a rough exterior."- Juvenal
One of the greatest things that my parents taught me is "don't judge a book by it's cover." It's so easy to flipantly quote. It's much harder to live it. Some people just don't appear to be the kind of people we want to be around. We decide that we obviously have nothing in common with them based on the way they present themselves, whether by look or by action. But that just isn't true.

We all have something in common. We're all out of the same human mold. We all have struggles. We all have weaknesses. And does it matter what those weaknesses are? Not really. We all know what it is to lose, to fail, to hurt. As the saying goes, "we all bleed the same."

I have found that I can relate to just about anyone. From the standoffish teenager, to the wheelchair bound elderly lady in the nursing home, farmers, executives, cashiers, doctors...
Everyone walks the same earth that I do. None is better or worse as far as I can see. But sometimes, other's actions are very difficult for me to get my head around. I want so badly to hold people at arms' length whose behavior is hurtful or irritating. But sometimes my behavior is hurtful and irritating as well. Am I really any better? I'm so thankful God doesn't hold me at arm's length when I'm frustrating. Instead he draws me close and sees past my "rough exterior" to the shining diamond He created me to be.

If only we would put ourselves aside, and deny ourselves our right to "not be irritated," we could see the shining qualities under the surface of the rough exteriors around us. We were all made in His image. We were all loved enough that someone was willing to give His life for us. If we take the time to dig a bit deeper, get closer than we would usually find comfortable, and see with our hearts instead of our minds, we may find that it's much easier to get along with the world around us. We may find that people all need a Savior, all need a friend, all need love and grace.

So when you venture out of your home this week, take a minute to really look at the people around you. Look past the "rough exterior." You may be just the person that they need to meet. And you never know, the person next to you may be just the person YOU need to meet.

No comments: