Thursday, December 2, 2010

Oh to grace, how great a debtor...

My devotion this morning was on graciousness. Ah, the sting of conviction. This week has been one challenge after another. I've been exhausted and the children have behaved so terribly that I believe they could have driven Job to the brink. And God decides to have a chat with me about graciousness...oh, of course. 

There's been plenty of literal and figurative dirty laundry around here this week. My attitude has been...well...really bad. Every time I would remind myself of how precious my children are, they would remind me of why I love bedtime. In fact upon leaving my bedroom after reading my devotional I find my darling two year old emptying her advent calendar of all the chocolates. Nothing like a "what have we learned today, Lindsay" pop quiz 30 seconds after the lesson. Sigh. 

Graciousness is not an easy thing. Not for anyone, let alone someone who spends their entire day with small children. (or cantankerous adults) But it is a necessary attribute to cultivate. Our responses to our children are shaping their relationships with us, themselves and their God. That's a whole lot to be riding on our reactions. 

So here's hoping that I can let the Gospel remind me today (no gentle whispers here, we're talking Mack truck, God.) that the grace that has been shown to me far outweighs the grace needed for me to respond to others in love. Because it's up to me to show my babies the importance of love and grace.  

This excerpt from a hymn was included in my devotional: 

Gracious Spirit, dwell with me! 
I myself would gracious be;
And with words that help and heal
Would Thy life in mine reveal.


Photobucket

2 comments:

Jessica E said...

lindsay, you are an amazing writer and such an involved, loving mother. i hope that one day i will be blessed with the opportunity to share my love with a family of my own. your words are more inspiring than you could ever imagine! i keep up with your blog, and sincerely love every minute i spend reading it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great message. How true this rings in my own life. My graciousness has been tested soooo much as a mother, more than at any other time in my life. This is something I needed to hear today. Thanks for sharing!

Jennifer Walker