Friday, December 2, 2011

Holy Mason Jars, Batman! It's Dessert!

Oh yeah. This is without a doubt my favorite use for a mason jar. Shocking, I know. My in-laws got to experience the yumminess this evening. There are at least a bajillion dessert recipes that can be made in mason jars, but these are the three currently in my refrigerator.

On the bottom left we have apple pie, on the bottom right is cherry pie and on top is tippy top peanut butter pie. (are those little jelly jars the cutest things you have ever seen or what? eek)

The two on the bottom are SUPER simple. (especially if you're a cheater like me) I just made a homemade pie crust from a recipe that I had lying around. Then I took the rims of the jars and cut out enough circles from the dough to top each pie. Then you just take pieces of dough and smoosh (I believe that's the technical term) them into the jar until you've covered the bottom and sides. Then if you're not in any hurry you can whip up whatever delicious topping you like. Or if you are like me and have too many cans of fruit pie filling you can cheat and use those. Just fill the jars about 3/4 of the way with filling, put a dough circle on top, put on the lid and pop those suckers in the freezer. When you want to bake it, just put the jar in the oven and turn the oven on to 375. Bake it for 50 minutes and you have a perfect, warm little pie in all it's goodness.

The peanut butter pie is only slightly more difficult and absolutely delicious. You can find the recipe HERE.

If you'd like an official recipe (dough and filling, etc.) for the two fruit pies you can find it HERE.

But by all means be creative you can stick about any kind of pie in a mason jar. A little secret here though...the 4 oz. jelly jars that are needed for these pies are really hard to find. I even looked at Rural King (which I mistakenly thought would be the home of all things canning). No luck. The only place I found that carries these bad boys is Ace Hardware. Go figure. (Oh, yes dear...I'd loooooooove to go with you to the hardware store...no really...I'm halfway out the door)

So there you have it. Adorable, yummy, single serving pies at your fingertips whenever you get the craving. (I'm not the only one who has those, right?) Oh, mason jars...you are too good to me.

No comments: