Thursday, December 8, 2011

Mason Jar Organizing

As I have already established, I have a need to join my local chapter of Mason Jar Addicts Anonymous. Although technically, I guess I would no longer be considered anonymous. And I don't think they have a program for mason jar addicts. Maybe I should start one. Or maybe I should just keep writing love songs about those beautiful, versatile glass cylinders that never seem to let me down. Just kidding. I don't really do that. Or do I?

Anyway...today's mason jar musing...organizing. I use mason jars in pretty much every room in my house. I use them to hold everything from silverware to holiday candy to chalk. Here are a few of my favorite organizing uses for mason jars.

I keep this jar full of pens on my kitchen counter. I also keep one on my desk. (That's my niece and nephew's picture in the background. Aren't they cute?)

I use these jars for organizing some of our school supplies. The one furthest back holds pencils, the one in the middle holds children's scissors. The one up front holds various geometrical shapes.


A jar of paintbrushes in our sun room.

Perfect storage for math units.

And chalk...

In our bathroom cotton balls in the bottom and q-tips in a votive holder on top. (Thank you pinterest.)

A few other awesome mason jar organizing ideas I've come across, but not yet done...



Pin storage and pin cushion. Find the tutorial HERE.



Adorable storage made from wall molding and hose clamps. Cute!



I also love mason jars for a more common purpose (food storage) but with a twist. I empty my sugars/spices/salts/etc. into mason jars. I've painted a square label on each jar with chalkboard paint (you could also paint the lid if you're storing them where the top would be more visible than the front). Then I just write what's in it on the label and when I switch what's in it, I just erase it and write something different. I also love that you can see exactly how much of something you have left with just a glance. And they look so cute in my lazy susan...I tried to show you a picture of my cute little jars, but I couldn't get it to go. Sorry. Maybe it'll work later. (as a side note...if you're storing something that needs to be dispensed by shaking or pouring you can reuse a lid from a grated Parmesan cheese container for a shaker or the lid from a pourable salt container for pouring. Both can be used on your mason jar.)










pour spout on a mason  
The possibilities are endless! Happy organizing!

No comments: